Are you interested in learning more about sharing our local history, working with people, caring for historic objects, or do you simply have a desire to serve our community? There is an opportunity for you at the Saint Albans Museum. We are currently recruiting new volunteers, including students, and there are openings for all interests and availability. Whether you can join us once a week or once a season, there are so many ways to get involved and to help SAM make history!
Below you will find assignment descriptions for our current openings. No experience necessary, and all training is provided! Contact us today to learn more about becoming a volunteer. Have an idea for a special project or program? Let us know.
Objective & Responsibilities: To assist with marketing and outreach efforts and/or database entry for the Saint Albans Museum.
Training: For community outreach, a marketing or communications background is preferred. For database work, a good working comfort level with technology is preferred. All specific training will be provided.
Schedule: As needed.
Docent (Tour Guide)
Objective : To assist with interpretation, education, and guest services for the
Saint Albans Museum.
– To lead or assist with guided tours of the Museum during open hours or special events
– To educate the public about SAM’s collections and exhibits
– To greet and provide customer service support for guests and visitors
– To assist with gift shop and admissions transactions
– To assist with opening and closing the Museum
– To provide support for public and educational programming as needed
– To adhere to Museum rules, policies, and procedures regarding safety and operations
– An interest in history and community service
– A willingness to learn and be a valued part of the volunteer team
– Comfortable interacting and engaging with the public and other volunteers/staff
– Individual and group training will be provided; no museum experience necessary
– Opportunity to earn First Aid/CPR certification
– Eligible to participate in RISE VT wellness program
Schedule: Docents can volunteer on a weekly, monthly, or as-needed basis
Accommodations: The Museum is fully accessible; volunteers may be asked to sit, stand, or walk during their shift, and accommodations can be made to enable individuals living with disabilities to perform their responsibilities
Academic Credit: Academic credit or internship opportunities are available for students