Congratulations to all of our participants in the inaugural SAMazing Race! You certainly showcased your detective skills when put to the test. We’re pleased to announce the results and the answers to our clues…
1st place: $200 + SAM prize pack: Ronald Anstey
2nd place: $50 + SAM prize pack: Robyn McElwain
3rd place: SAM prize pack: Kate Larose
“History Selfie” Award: Peter & Kim Smith
Clue # 1: This historic storefront in St. Albans City, once housed hardware stores (Charles H. Hill & later Sweeney’s) with many other small markets, a candy store, restaurants, fuel companies and a livery nearby. Later it became a highly frequented restaurant on South Main Street.
Answer: Mimmo’s (S Main St)
Clue #2: This three-story former school building was constructed in 1861 in the Renaissance-Revival style. Local soldiers were recruited here during the Civil War, and bandages and first-aid kits meant for distribution to the front-line were prepared at this site. During the infamous St. Albans Raid of 1864, students and teachers were given a front-row seat to the events unfolding outside their windows.
Answer: Saint Albans Museum (Church Street)
Clue #3: This thoroughfare in St. Albans City was originally known as Furnace Street, and it intersected with Champlain Street on its southern end. Carpentry workshops, machine shops and a foundry developed along the street. Today, it has a different name based on the original use of the white marble building built on this street in 1865.
Answer: Federal Street
Clue #4: This site, located in St. Albans Town, became a Civil War camp named in honor of Vermont’s second Civil War governor. Over 1,000 men of the 5th Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment camped on this land and were mustered into Federal service on Sept. 16, 1861. In 1865, two companies of the frontier cavalry recruited immediately after the St. Albans Raid on Oct. 19, 1864 occupied the nearby fields. Currently, it is identified by a historical marker.
Answer: Camp Holbrook
Clue # 5: This site was acquired in 1914. It operated as a business in St Albans City until 1985, when it closed – eventually the buildings were torn down. It was important to many farmers in the local area. There were 25 – 50 people employed, depending on the time of year, who manufactured a variety of products.
Answer: HP Hood Plant
Clue #6: This local hotspot was a live band dance destination for local teenagers on Thursday nights in the late 1960s when owner, Jim McSweeney, held a “teen night.” Attendees would buy a ticket with four detachable pieces, each used to purchase food and soft drinks. Music was provided by local groups including the Allard Brothers. Art Bostwick, Madeline McGovern, Jack Bean, Ray Murray and others performed here when it transformed into a nightclub on the weekends. On occasion, patrons would arrive by boat. The structure is no longer there.
Answer: Edgewater Pavillion (Lake Road)
Clue #7: This building in St. Albans City was constructed in 1895, and served as the U.S. Post Office and Customs House. The interior was destroyed in the great fire of 1895, but since the exterior was structurally sound it was restored and served in its original capacity until 1938. At one time, this building served as a DMV office and a courthouse.
Answer: Federal Courthouse building (corner of Kingman & Federal streets)
Clue #8: Henry Hunt, in his will of 1861, left $1,000 to establish this public service in St. Albans – providing the village raised a matching amount. The money was raised by 1862, and the building was outfitted appropriately with help from Herbert Brainerd. Renovations were completed in 2002.
Answer: Saint Albans Free Library (Maiden Lane)
Clue #9: The second oldest house in St. Albans was built in 1800. It was bought by Abel Houghton in 1828, and remained in his family for four generations. It was believed to be part of the Underground Railroad, and three tunnels entering and exiting the house were destroyed in 1956 due to area repaving. This building is currently home to a long-standing business.
Answer: Brady & Levesque Funeral Home (S Main Street)